Robin Rambling on Week 4 Readings (Part II)
Journalist and media veteran, Kenna Griffin supplies Twitter Chat n00bs with some helpful hints to overcome the first time jitters.
Griffin explains that feeling overwhelmed during one’s first handful of Twitter Chats is extremely normal and that the fast pace of the posts can cause a dizzying effect in most people. However, she believes that the information and connections that one gains from the experience is worth taking a deep breath and not giving up.
Griffin spells out some simple reminders and guidelines for the Tweet Chat beginner, ranging from the importance of the Chat subject matter to understanding the chat’s rules. She also gives the basic instructions for tweeting a formal introduction and reminds readers that it’s okay to miss things during the chat – not all tweets are meant for everyone.
Personally, I found her 10 Tips to be quite helpful as I am just now learning the ins and outs of the Tweet Chat. For example, I wasn’t aware that each chat had specific rules and those rules were typically given out approximately one hour to 30 minutes before the scheduled start time. I was also relieved to know that it was in fact correct to use the TweetChat hashtag EVERY time you posted, even when speaking to a person from the chat through a direct message and that following people with whom you spoke during the TweetChat was appropriate and encouraged.
If you are new to Twitter or just new to Tweet Chats (or Twitter Chats, depending on who you are talking to), I highly suggest you check out Kenna Griffin’s 10 Tips for Participating in Dizzying Twitter Chats and some of the other articles located at the bottom of this post.
Other Articles of Interest for this Week:
- Hermida, A, Lewis, S. C. and Zamith, R. (2012). Sourcing the Arab Spring: A case study of Andy Carvin’s Sources During the Tunisian and Egyptian Revolutions. Presented at the International Association of Online Journalism Conference in Austin, TX. Related slides
Need More Information about Twitter Chats?
Check out these articles which provide helpful hints, tips, and tricks:
- 5 Ways Twitter Can Help Your Business by Kristi Hines
- How to Participate in a Tweet Chat by Janet Fouts – The Social Media Coach
- Digital PR – Teasing Out the Potential of Twitter Chats (Part I) by Judy Gombita
- 7 Tips for Better Twitter Chats by Megan Berry at Mashable
- Twitter Chat Made Easy: A How To Guide by SITSgirls.com “Where Women Get Social”
(VIDEO) How To Twitter Chat
Find Your Perfect Twitter Chat Match:
- 15 Essential Twitter Chats for Social Media Marketers by Ann Smarty at Mashable